The Camotes Islands is an island group that is located in the Camotes Sea, East of Cebu Island, southwest of Leyte and north of Bohol. It is sometimes called as the “Lost Horizon of the South”. This group of Islands is a part of the Cebu Province. It is composed of three major islands; the Poro, Pacijan, and Ponson and one major islet, the Tulang Diot.
The islands of Camotes are low-lying that has several hills that are used for telecommunications relay station. The highest point in the island is the Altavista which is 1,273 ft. above sea level and it is located in the island of Poro.
Camotes Tourist Destinations
The prevalent industries in the Islands are farming, fishing, and tourism. Recently, the percentage of tourism in the islands escalated due to the enhancement of the resorts and other tourist spots that can be found in the island. The Presidential Proclamation 2152 of 1981 declared the islands of Poro, Ponson, and Pacijan as “Mangrove Swamp Forest Reserves”.
- Santiago Beach-is know for its wide range white sand beach
- Lake Danao
- Holy Crystal Cave
- Boho Rock
- Bakhaw Beach
- St. Nino Church
- Baywalk Trail
- Bukilat Cave
Currently, there are more or less 22 resorts in the island.
How to Get to Camotes Island
- From anywhere in the Philippines or the world, take an airplane going to Cebu. (Ferry boats are also available from any points in the Philippines to Cebu City.) Cebu is usually the touchdown point when going to the beautiful islands.
- From the airport, take a cab going to Danao port which will take an hour or less. It will cost around Php 150.00 or more depending on the traffic situation.
- Board on a barge or public boat from Danao port going to Camotes Island (Poro Island since it is the main port). The boat ride will take approximately 2 – 2 ½ hours for only Php 180.00. (Dolphin sightings can also be experienced during the boat ride.)
- Upon arriving at the Camotes port, jeepneys and motorcycles for hire, locally known as “habal-habal”, are available as a means of transportation going to the resorts in the island.
***The island of Ponson can also be reached from the City of Ormoc by an hour boat ride.