Cebu Top Luxury HotelsMay 15, 2012
Oslob Tumalog Falls – a Nature’s Secret RevealedJuly 31, 2012
Whale Shark in Oslob Cebu
The municipality of Oslob, Cebu is located in the southern part of the Cebu Island. It is considered to be a fourth class municipality in the Province of Cebu.
It was once an ordinary town when just recently, about September 2011, the whale sharks were seen in the place. Since then, the place became one of the tourist attractions in the island of Cebu. These whale sharks are famously known as “gentle giants” for they are harmless even on their very large size. Many people are now visiting this place to witness for themselves the excitement and fun when seeing these large creatures.
Although these whale sharks are completely harmless, people are not advised to go very near them nor touch them because it might harm these creatures. A viewer must undergo first a short briefing before actually seeing these whale sharks. There is a whale shark code of conduct that needs to be followed. These are the following:
- Do not attempt to touch, ride, or chase a whale shark.
- Do not restrict normal movement or behavior of the shark.
- Maintain a minimum distance of 3 meters from the whale shark.
- Do not undertake flash photography.
- Do not use motorized underwater diver propulsion.
Tip: When going there, please make sure to strictly follow these conducts to protect the eco-tourism activities.
How to get there:
- Take a bus from the Cebu South Bus Terminal going to Oslob. Drop off at Barangay Tan-awan. (It will be a 2 ½ – 3 hours bus ride and the fare ranges from PhP 156.00 for air conditioned buses and PhP 145.00 for non-air conditioned bus.)
- Then go straight to the resort that has a “Whale Shark Watching” sign.
- Upon reaching the resort, fees should be paid like the entrance fee, boat fee, snorkeling gears, and underwater pictures.